Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Taking Things For Granted

Just after 2 pm today I got a text from one of my friends asking if I had heard about the plane that crashed near Wilson Elementary, and I hadn't. But after I had read that I kinda sorta freaked out just a lot a little bit, because my brother, Josh, and my sisters, Shayelin and Sarah all go to school there. Also, the house where I used to live in Payson is only a couple blocks away from where this happened. I didn't know any other details other than a plane had crashed. So I went to the computer to took up the story and see what I could find, and it turns out that the plane crashed around 1:15, just 45 minutes before Wilson would be let out of school today. Both of the people in the plane died, but the plane crashed in a field/driveway between two houses, right across the street from the school. Seriously, only a street between the plane and Wilson Elementary property. No one else was injured. Thankfully. So after I knew they'd be home, I called my house, just to check and make sure that everything was okay. I talked to my brother and he said that one of his friends saw the whole thing, and that he could hear it from where he was. I just couldn't imagine being so young and witnessing that. But I'm just so thankful that it missed the houses and the school, and that no one else was hurt.

But this really got me thinking how much we (at least I know I do) take things for granted. In an instant things can literally be turned upside down. I was expecting to wake up, go to class, come back home, and for my siblings to do the same, but if that plane would've been just a few feet back or to the side it could've hit houses, or even the school, changing everything. We really are blessed that nothing else happened, and this just made me realize how much I do love and appreciate my family and friends. I just can't even imagine what would've happened if school would've been out and the kids would've been walking home during that time, because there is always a lot of kids on the surrounding streets of Wilson walking home after school. It could've very easily turned into a huge tragedy, so I can't help but be grateful for what I have.




http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=13307374

No comments:

Post a Comment